WELCOME! Thanks for visiting the Catzie.net Blog. Find out More

Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage for Birth Certificate Amendment – Philippines

If you are searching for information on how to change (amend) the surname of a child and from now on use the surname of his/her father, then this post may help you. That is, if you are in the Philippines. This is especially helpful if you are from Quezon City.

I got a copy of the requirements to process Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage from the Quezon City Hall. I just thought I’d share it here in my blog in case other people need to know about the process and requirements.

The case was:

A kid was born in 1990, but the marriage of that kid’s parent took place a bit later. Therefore, when that kid’s birth certificate was issued, the surname used was that of the mother. Not knowing that marriage contract and affidavit of acknowledgement of paternity were not the only requirements for legitimation, the kid was enrolled at school and used the father’s surname.

But then came time when the school required the kid’s birth certificate WITH annotation stating the amendment of name – from the mother’s surname to the father’s.

The solution:

After some research and inquiry to NSO, the “family” found out that they should apply for legitimation by subsequent marriage at the civil registry where the birth of the kid was recorded. In their case, it was at the Quezon City Hall’s civil registry office.

Upon arrival, the family was given a list at Counter 15 (Remember, it was at Quezon City Hall).

The following is the list of requirements for Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage

Please note that requirements may vary depending on where you will apply for Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage.

Requirements for Legitimation of a Child by Subsequent Marriage

  1. CENOMAR of Both Parents – Certificate of No Previous Marriage of Parents (to be secured from NSO/Census)
  2. Marriage Contract of Parents – (NSO or Ceritified Local Copy)
  3. Birth Certificate of the Child (Certified Copy)
  4. Baptismal Certificate of the Child (Original Copy)
  5. Personal Apperance of Both Parents and their valid ID’s and Cedula
  6. Joint Affidavit of Legitimation of a Child by Subsequent Marriage – this one is actually not listed in the paper. I’m adding it here because you will save time (and possibly, money) if you acquire this prior to visiting the civil registrar. I’m helping you out with some examples/templates:

Note(s) about Legitimation of by Subsequent Marriage

  • Bring original documents and 2-sets photocopies
  • Children conceived when either or both parents were below 18 years shall fall under R.A. 9255; CENOMAR is no longer required.

Additional requirements if not acknowledged by the Father / Admission of Paternity

  • Child:

    • Baptismal Certificate
    • School Records
    • Medical Records
  • Father: to prove the child’s filiation, any two of the following:

    • Employment Record
    • SSS/GSIS Records
    • Statement of Asset and Liabilities
    • Certification of membership in any organization
    • Insurance Policy
    • Income Tax Return (ITR)

At the Quezon City Hall 600 pesos was paid for the processing, which takes one week to finish.

Summing up Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage in the Philippines

  • Just to be 100% sure, go to or call the civil registry office where the child’s birth was recorded, and ask for all requirements to process legitimation. As I’ve stated before, requirements may vary depending on which city hall you are headed to.
  • When you are carrying all requirements plus needed photocopies, submit to the civil registry.
  • You will be asked to pay the processing fee. At Quezon City Hall it was 500+ pesos if you already have the Joint Affidavit of Legitimation of a Child by Subsequent Marriage filled out completely, and 600 pesos if you don’t.
  • Wait one week until the process of legitimation by subsequent marriage is finished.
  • After this, the amendment / annotation will be reflected on the child’s birth certificate, stating that the child is then allowed to legally use the father’s surname.

Result of Legitimation by Subsequent Marriage

Weeks after application at Quezon City Hall’s Civil Registry office, the family was advised to go to the NSO office at Quezon City, the one at East Avenue. There, a stub was given, stating that the birth certificate may be claimed at the 4th Floor of Vibal Building of NSO at Quezon Avenue.

The amendment / annotation on the new birth certificate goes like this:


Part of the annotation was the SID, as well as signature of the “Chief of Document Management” and Date and Time.

Got Questions? Please call your civil registrar. Thank you.

The information typed above is everything I know about. :) I do hope though, that this blog entry about legitimation of a child in the Philippines helped you somehow.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *